Thursday, October 31, 2019

Cold as Ice

Inspirational song: I Want Candy (Bow Wow Wow)

Trick-or-treating is still a thing, right? My doorbell didn't ring a single time tonight. Not once. I peeked out the window a half dozen times, and the only person I saw walking was accompanying a dog who had his own flashlight (hanging from his collar). I set out some of our uncarved pumpkins on the front steps, found the Halloween-themed candle holders and put them on the porch, and I turned on the porch light and the lamp in the living room. I thought I made the sign. I even painted a green pumpkin with ridges to look like a spider, and the Mr put out the one he carved for the game Wednesday night. No trick-or-treaters. No pedestrians at all, after the dog-walker. What the hell am I going to do with two Costco-sized bags of chocolate bars, half of which have cookies or wafers in them?

It was still completely frigid out there from this week's big weather event. If no kids were out in costume, hunting for candy tonight, I really can't blame them. I really didn't want to have to open the door for anyone, and face a cold blast of air each time. This morning was still in the deep freeze. Our pond wasn't frozen solid, but I wouldn't have wanted to be a fish living in it. The sun was out long enough to melt the roads and sidewalks, but the driveways were still dodgy.

My daughter didn't feel like answering the door any more than I did. She just set a big bowl on her porch and put it on the honor system. That did not work. She alerted me to a picture she took, after what she said sounded like a herd of teenagers came by, grabbed the entire bowl, and took off with the lot, bowl and all. There were a few hard candies littered on her porch afterward, and not much else. I'm not sure which would be worse. At least she didn't have a lot leftover.

The bright side to having no one ring my doorbell tonight meant that there is peace all across the land. Alfred isn't hiding under the bed downstairs, and Athena helped me watch Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (with her back to the TV and her eyes closed). I don't think Jackie left the rocking chair in the front room all night. No fear for black cats here. They're living like little gods, as is proper.





No comments:

Post a Comment