Saturday, December 21, 2019

Cool Kids

Inspirational song: Only a Lad (Oingo Boingo)

I choose to consider ourselves fortunate that our kids want to hang out with us. Tonight was the big Saturnalia party at the kids' house, and not only were we invited, we were scolded when we started running late getting there. We know a substantial percentage of their circle of friends, and so far they all seem fine with the parents being present for some of these gatherings. No one has yet acted like they couldn't relax and be themselves that I could tell. By the time the games come out (typically Jackbox), everyone seems comfortable enough to be rude, bawdy, and cutthroat.

I was tasked with baking gluten free bread for tonight. I failed twice to create anything edible. The first loaf made yesterday was so dense it was a weapon. It was a cassava flour recipe with ingredients but no instructions. I kind of faked it, and made something equivalent to granite on the hardness scale. So I tried a completely different recipe this afternoon, using a cup-for-cup flour. It was less dense but equally dry and bland. Maybe later we can cut the second one into cubes, drench it in olive oil and seasoning, and made croutons out of it. It's the only hope for salvation for either loaf.

We had a friend waiting by the window when we got home. It was so sweet. Now I know how Harvey's true love--the mailman--feels walking up to our porch. At least I remember to greet him every time. I don't let that level of devotion go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment