Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Malled Whine

Inspirational song: I Think We're Alone Now (Tifffany)

Starting on the purest high note of the day, I discovered that the Orange Julius in the Flatirons Mall down in Broomfield still carries the pina colada flavor. I rarely go to Orange Julius stores (I would have just tried to make "Julius" plural, but I don't know how), and I go to malls even less frequently. I've been to locations where they said they don't get all the flavors (there are only like six of them--why would they minimize the menu?), so it was pretty sweet to find the best one today.

Kid and I went down to do some preliminary Christmas browsing, and to hit a book sale. For the most part, we got the information we needed, and picked up a few items that will work for presents. She bought more than I did. I've already announced I'm making most of what I want to give, and stuff is going to be small and modestly priced. I'm not dropping hints for anything expensive, either. This needs to be a streamlining year, not an accumulating one. Although I did acquire a new pair of jeans. I've been wearing the same three or four almost non-stop since spring/summer, and the holes I'm wearing into them are not in cute designer places. If I shopped more often, I might have learned that Old Navy doesn't carry the best cut I've ever owned anymore. I'll bet they stopped years ago, and I just didn't know. I would have loaded up had I known back then.

When I was a teenager, spending all day at the mall was de rigeur. We couldn't get enough of it. Today I couldn't wait to get out of it. There was plenty of cute stuff to look at, but standing around looking at things I can't fit into nor fit into my house got old fast. After several hours, my daughter still had one or two stores she wanted to go in, but all of a sudden I ran out of spoons, and I felt like my legs suddenly doubled in weight. I had to go home, and it was a long drive to get there. The drive got even longer when we ended up on a rural road, stuck in construction traffic. We were at a dead stop for close to half an hour, while the line of cars built for miles behind us. Cars around us had given up and turned around, but I was determined to press on. And then I looked up and saw a giant construction vehicle coming at us. Words fail me. Just look at the picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment