Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Do Not Pass

Inspirational song: Uptown Girl (Billy Joel)

I found myself stomping through King Soopers late this afternoon, frustrated, sad, anxious, and exceptionally vulnerable to the snack aisles. I was supposed to pick up vegetables to go in chicken soup on the way home from my "sniff test." In addition to the classic aromatic vegetables, into my cart went two kinds of tortilla chips, cheesy popcorn, two additional tubs of hummus, and a quart of chocolate ice cream. So healthy. But I needed comfort food and stuff to chew on to relieve stress.

The sniff test didn't happen. I showed up on time to the hospital, and went to check in. The woman who handled my check in yesterday for two other tests was at the desk, and remembered me. She was as confused as I was that the records showed my insurance was denied, with a note that I wasn't found in the Tricare system. These problems did not occur yesterday. I sat around for more than half an hour, while they failed to sort it out. Eventually we gave up and I went home without lying in an xray machine, sniffing hard to see whether my diaphragm moves properly. I had to reschedule. No way in hell was I going to do this with an insurance denial hanging over it.

I'm overwhelmed with tests right now. I'm chafing under the stress. Last night was the sleep study, and I hated every second of it. The setup is uncomfortable. Every time I curled up on my side, the chest piece flashed that it wasn't in place. Every time I moved around, it flashed that the fingertip pulse ox was out of place. I slept poorly, when I slept at all. And I was so groggy this morning at the end of it, I think I might have screwed up and reset the unit. I pray they don't make me do it over.

Thank goodness it's Wednesday. The whole gang came over for game night and gift exchange. It has helped my mood immensely. For the gift exchange, I painted little wooden ornaments with something unique to each person's D&D story. I'm pleased with how they turned out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment