Friday, December 20, 2019

Skip to the End

Inspirational song: I Can't Go for That (Hall and Oates)

In consideration of how little time we had left, we skipped ahead and watched The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi over the last two nights. The Rise of Skywalker is now in theaters, so sometime next week, we can carve out a couple of hours to fit it in. We are prepared for it. If I hear one single spoiler for it, I will lose my cool, I swear to you. I am of the Star Wars generation: the people who were highly impressionable grade school kids when A New Hope premiered. We waited a lifetime to get to this point, and I don't want anything to ruin our chance at closure now.

T and I had a great time watching episode 7 last night. Mr S-P was a little grumpy about the plot holes, but we managed to ignore that and enjoy ourselves as much as we had as kids, watching episode 4 for the first time. Tonight's movie was a bit more problematic. There was a lot of "why did they" and "why wouldn't they" shouted out at the screen. Even I participated, and I'm usually the one suspending disbelief the hardest, and wading waist-deep in escapism. The guys were wrapped around the axle over the abandonment of basic high school physics. This movie definitely had flaws. There were a few fun moments, so it wasn't a total loss.

I'm not sure I'm emotionally prepared for this to be over. What has it been, 42 years? It's going to be hard. I follow the "Emo Kylo Ren" Twitter account, and today he posted something along the lines of "it's been a hard day and I need a hug." Now I'm nervous. Maybe I'll need a hug too.

No comments:

Post a Comment