Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Revised List

Inspirational song: We Wish You a Merry Christmas (Traditional Carol)

We have the word on good authority, straight from the big guy himself: we are done with the naughty and nice list. It's manipulative and somewhat bullying, and it teaches the wrong things. Instead, in the furtherance of unconditional love, Santa himself has decided to retire it, and replace it with the "kind list." He said so himself when he had lunch at our rotary club. Look, if you don't believe me, ask him yourself. And then set your heart free and give without reservations and accept with gratitude. We clear?

School wasn't out yet, so our normal holiday meeting had plenty of spouses but was light on kids. Only one couple brought their grandbaby, a lovely young lady of about 3 years, who was perfectly behaved for the whole meeting. I was impressed, and a little jealous, since as of this Christmas, my grandchildren are all still of the type to visit veterinarians not pediatricians. 

The entertainment today was terrific. Santa performed Twas the Night Before Christmas as he had in the past, with musical accompaniment. This time he had assistance from Elf Hot Wheels, to add a new voice to the mix. And then we were serenaded by Now and Then, an all-recorder quartet. They were really spiffy. Did you know there were as many kinds of recorders as there are flutes and saxophones? Alto, bass, and contra bass recorders are a thing! It was cool.

I am on the clock to turn in early. I managed to live more than half of my life (probably) without doing a sleep study, but they got me this time. I have to strap in and put a tube under my nose, and then try to sleep like that. Wish me luck. I wish I had surreptitiously recorded some of that quartet from today. Their music would have been a perfect lullaby.

No comments:

Post a Comment