Friday, August 27, 2021

Freeing

Inspirational song: Turn Me Loose (Loverboy)

Two doctor appointments down, with good results. First, to the cancer center, for the breast surgeon to get her first look. I told her about the hives, and the massive amount of real estate it covered. She asked me to point to the extent of it, and nodded to her PA, "That's the prep. I always wash it off, but he doesn't." She tried to get me to say something when I went to see the other surgeon, and I declined, reluctant to get into the middle of a disagreement between them. She poked at the breast a little, where it was ever so slightly puffy and pink, and told me to go back on the antibiotics. I agreed to that directive. We also went over my pathology report, and it was all good news. She told me that the other doctor would be in charge of declaring me healed, and then we would start radiation.

The plastic surgeon was in surgery when I arrived, so my whole appointment was with his nurse (which was fine--I like her). She peeled off the bandages and pried out the staples. After looking at my written notes, she conferred with the doctor, and they decided not to pull the drain out yet. I was quite disappointed. I now have tape on the seams, and a much more comfortable bra. I still have to sleep on my back, but at least now I can shower and wash my hair for the first time in a week.

I got a couple good looks at what remains. It's so small! I said it's not just that, it's also the slang "smol." Now the right side is noticeably smaller than the left. That's a switch. I think once it has healed, I'm going to really like it. My shoulders already do.

Until the staples were out, I didn't want to drive myself anywhere, especially on a highway. The only one free to take me around this time was my son-in-law. I rode in the back with the Grump, and as a thank you, I took both of them to brunch afterwards. That was even more fun than getting my bandages and staples off.

No comments:

Post a Comment