Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Sort It Out

Inspirational song: Where I Want To Be (Chess)

Why is it always when you are sickest that health care providers, or at least their billing departments, make things the most irritatingly messed up? For weeks now I've been trying to chase down who ordered the biopsy in June, and why was it not fully covered by my insurance, minus my usual $61 copay. I am completely out of energy to deal with this, but I had to take another loop on the roller coaster today. I spoke with my case manager, who happened to call when I was simmering in anxiety over this exact subject. She offered to make a call to the oncology clinic, to work what I thought was my best lead. I thought I had been given an early birthday present, not to have to make that particular phone call. A few hours later, I got a call from a very confused person in the cancer center's office, who eventually figured out why she had my number on a note and what we were asking as she spoke to me, and said no, even though it was the oncologist who ordered the mammogram, it was the radiologist who ordered the biopsy. So who ran it past insurance? Anyone? This is insanely frustrating. I have now completed one full loop, and have to go back to Centura Health, and yell at them. 

I don't have the spoons for this. It should be against the rules to make the patient deal with this during the illness. Funny, in America, that is exactly how it goes. We aren't expected to get well. We are expected to be consumers. Or marks. I just feel duped.

No comments:

Post a Comment