Saturday, August 14, 2021

What's the Damage

Inspirational song: Since You've Been Gone (Rainbow)

Puppies are cute and all, until you go away for three days, and they develop separation anxiety, so bad that you go out to dinner and run through Walmart on the way home, and they freaking panic and eat your house. Or is that just my dog? I thought having our daughter stay here last weekend would be enough to keep harmony in the animal kingdom, but no. All of the bad chewing habits are back with a vengeance, just when I thought she was maturing out of them. Oh, no. Saoirse is determined to destroy everything in her path. I came home to foam chunks from the ottoman all over the carpet (good thing I planned to replace it asap) and the playpen destroyed. I knew I should have gotten it out to garage storage sooner.

The baby stayed with me this morning while my son-in-law borrowed the farm truck to take advantage of free drop-off day at the county landfill. (If only Saoirse could have ruined the ottoman one day sooner, I could have sent the remains with him.) I still can't convince Val to repeat that exaggerated version of "yes" from the video her parents sent, but wow did she show me lots of other cool tricks. That baby is smart. Last time she was here, I showed her how the light switches work, so she immediately made her parents give her access to the ones at home. She wanted to play with them again here, so we learned which switch controls which light. We also learned some switches don't turn on lights, they turn on loud fans above the potty. She wasn't sure she liked that one as much. When she wasn't being hoisted up to switch height, she was running all around, shoving handfuls of corn Chex in her mouth. Almost a year into this solid food thing and I'm still enjoying the heck out of feeding that baby. I must have been born to be a grandma. This is awesome.

My dinner out was longer than I'd planned, hence Saoirse's anxiety. My buddy and I needed to sit and vent about medical issues and how quickly our bodies are breaking down. We are kind of neck-and-neck for who has the most new diagnoses. It's nice to have a friend who can commiserate, but I'm getting a little stressed that she might pull ahead in the race. Even though you don't know who I'm talking about, do me a favor and think happy thoughts for less-scary test results for her this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment