Saturday, August 7, 2021

Smog

Inspirational song: Viva Las Vegas (Elvis Presley)

Eight and a half years into this project, sometimes I still struggle with how to start describing my situation. Where can I start with the last 30 hours? A fourteen and a half hour drive at the last minute is, in a word, rough. I took the shift I expected to, from Grand Junction, Colorado to Richfield, Utah. It was all I had in me. Luckily, it was all I was needed to provide. Three hours of sleep was enough for the Mr to get us all the way to Vegas. As soon as the sky started to lighten, we knew something was different. The air was thick and hazy. I've never seen it as bad as it was this last week or so. It's like the worst LA smog from the 1970s. It's awful out there. But at least it held the temperature down to the 90s while we were out. 

I needed a lot of sleep to recover, but I managed to be alert enough to have brunch with our friends who are Vegas locals, and to get the most wonderful pedicure I've had in years (honestly, the only pedicure I've had in over two years). I had sandals to wear to the events this weekend, so it was mandatory that I had my feet cleaned up a bit. 

The rehearsal dinner was really more of a pre-party party. All the guests were there, and we got the back room of a Cornish pasty shop/bar. I managed to find a non-wheat item to eat, and everyone (including me) had a terrific dinner. 

It's late, and I've burned through a hundred bucks on slots, while watching Mr S-P hit all the bonuses right next to me. Should I quit for the night and turn in? Yeah. Will I? Unclear.

No comments:

Post a Comment