Friday, August 6, 2021

Ramona's Dog

Inspirational song: Vague Directions (James McMurtry)

We got spirit, yes we do! We got spir-- wait. No we don't. And neither does most anyone who bought cheap plane tickets through Spirit this week. It was a mere four hours before our scheduled departure when we got a text from Priceline telling us, uh, hey, there's a change in your flight status, go ask the airline, don't blame us. Being the intrepid adventurers we are, we raised two middle fingers towards the airport, and loaded up the car. Sure, we won't be in Vegas before dawn, but whatever. We don't quit.

There have been multiple mudslides on I-70 around Glenwood Springs. The road is a mess. It is closed, and the governor has declared it a state of emergency. So we have been winding our way through the mountains south of the interstate. We just finished Monarch Pass, and I'm writing now while I have signal at Gunnison. I doubt there will be as good a signal going through B.F.E. Utah.

We aren't the only wedding attendees having trouble with this airline. The groom's dad had the same problem. We are not sure he will be able to rebook with a different carrier. I feel awful for him missing out on it all.

As we drove the long way through the mountains, we played leapfrog with the same maroon pickup, with a cattle dog in a kennel in the back. We were usually behind the truck. After several hours, all I could think of was how much I wanted to pet that dog. I will probably think about him/her for the rest of this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment