Saturday, August 21, 2021

In the Bosom of My Family

Inspirational song: The Warrior (Patty Smyth)

Recovery is going surprisingly well. Might be my best one so far. Not sure yet what to attribute that to. I'm leaning towards giving the credit to being allowed to stay overnight, and not pushing myself to do too much on my own right away. While I appreciate that day surgery is right for some people, I am one who benefits from a little extra monitoring. I am glad I was able to stay.

This is not to imply I have no pain. I definitely feel stuff. I think there might be a staple right next to my sternum that is poking me a bit. I'm staying on top of my pain meds, and sitting and sleeping in the position I was directed to use. I might take advantage of the flexeril they provided to keep my back from spasming while I have to sleep on my back, with the back of the bed raised to 45 degrees or higher.

I wasn't in the house three minutes before my furry girls found me. I crawled in bed, and immediately Athena was on my right shoulder, and Saoirse was on my left hip. We worried that puppy would be too enthusiastic, but she has comported herself quite well. 

I'm able to walk around the house for little bits at a time. I can get to the bathroom by myself, and I have emptied my own drain twice. I needed help stripping the drain tube once. I haven't had much of an appetite, but I have eaten enough to take my meds with. Doctor said he took out almost a thousand grams, and boy, can I tell. He is very happy with how things lined up and matched the other side. We will still do the rebuild on the left after I have recovered from radiation. As for now, I am completely covered and bound under lots of gauze and an uncomfortable velcro binding bra. I can only guess what it looks like under there.

The kids knew I was jonesing for a baby fix. They came by to bring me flowers and to let the baby say hello. Well, she didn't exactly say hello. But she did clearly say her new word: "bee." I didn't get to hold her at all, but we got to visit while a massive thunderstorm rolled through, delaying their walk home.

 I'm curious how my first night home will go. Good, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment