Monday, August 2, 2021

It's In There

Inspirational song: Radio Waves (Roger Waters)

The answer to my question from yesterday is no, the tiny RFID chips are not supposed to light up on the TSA scanners. I asked the nurse and the radiologist, and neither had a definitive answer, so the nurse called the company rep. I felt silly for sending them on such an extensive research quest, but they swore they were happy to learn something new. 

The procedure took a while. It was in the same room as the biopsy, on the same table with the hole in it. The worst part is lying face down in the depression surrounding the hole, with very little support to keep one in a comfortable position. My shoulders and neck took it the worst. The pinch of the lidocaine going in was over in a flash, and I didn't feel much in the implantation process other than pushing and moving. It took a long time to get me positioned correctly. She kept adjusting the clamp and taking images of the area with all the calcifications. I'm still having a hard time getting a clear idea how large of a section is coming out as the cancer removal (assuming quite a bit more will go with the reduction). The location chips are about 4 cm apart, from the frontmost edge to the back edge. That doesn't necessarily imply that the cancerous section runs perfectly straight front to back.

I was doing well most of the day, until the baby came over in the evening, and I picked her up. It was that moment that I learned the lidocaine (or whatever) had completely worn off. It started to sting just a bit, and it has continued to ever since. That's probably my last warning not to pick up either of the young girls again until roughly October. I will heed that warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment