Wednesday, June 8, 2022

In the Neighborhood

Inspirational song: Hello Goodbye (The Beatles)

Did you know people walking up and down the street are much friendlier when you're visibly back on track with yard projects? At least, that's how it seems. We have people smiling and pointing at one flower or another as they go by, when we see them from inside. When we are outside, we get a lot of hellos and chances to pet doggies.

There were major leaps forward on the turf removal today. I had intended to just work a little on the edges, literally. I went around the edge of the driveway, shoveling up clumps to rip out the weeds, and sat and pulled out all green matter. We had reached the conclusion that it's in our best interest to tidy the edges and then just bury the rest under weed barriers and mulch. The Mr got busy digging out a sprinkler head that needs to move (apparently somebody has driven over it when she backs her new car inelegantly into the driveway to reach the charging cable), and he turned over a few more thistles for me to thin out. (All thistles must die.) He will need parts to move the sprinkler, so that is on hold until the weekend. We decided it was better to go get a truckload of mulch from the county and go ahead and start in a different spot. There's a triangle of space between the original paisley shaped bed, the new tall mound, and the rogue volunteer yarrow patch that now has a layer of cardboard, weed barrier fabric, and mulch. It's not a huge space, but visually, it shows me that things are changing.

I spent at least three hours out in the sun, working on pulling weeds. What was I thinking? I had a hat on, but my forearms were exposed. I'm working on a bit of a sunburn there. I sat on a hard iron chair for most of it, and am correspondingly sore. Plus this undid all the good shoulder work from Monday's massage. Rats. Regardless of the pain, I am thrilled to see the yard changing by leaps and bounds now. Maybe in the next day or so, I'll start acquiring the rest of the stone materials for my paths. Depends on whether I can actually move after today.

No comments:

Post a Comment