Saturday, June 4, 2022

Sing It

Inspirational song: The Rum Tum Tugger (Cats)

Surely this kid has a future in musical theater. By the time she turned two, she had developed a fluency in Andrew Lloyd Webber works. She can't make it through a single day without listening to Cats most of the way through at least once. She's really into Lin-Manuel Miranda too. She knows Encanto and Moana inside and out. Dare I get her started on Hamilton? 

When she listens to her favorite songs, now she sings along, either with words at the ends of phrases that she can understand, or perfectly on-beat, improvisational interjections to the tunes. She expanded out to a few other musicals today, playing what the algorithm of YouTube suggested. I heard a few snippets of Jesus Christ Superstar and Phantom of the Opera. I can't wait to hear her interpretation of those. For that matter, I am putting this on the record: I predict she will bring the house down at the 5th grade talent show with Don't Cry for Me, Argentina.

I was with that powerhouse of a toddler basically all day. I went to breakfast with her and her mommy, and then I kept her while mommy went to work. She kept up a stream of observations when she wasn't singing along to "Canto" and "Mana." Somewhere in this house, we have an old karaoke machine, I think. I wonder whether we can hook it up and turn her loose. Artistic joy like this should be encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment