Monday, June 13, 2022

Rosy

Inspirational song: Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)

Less than a minute after I turned out my bedside light last night, a smell hit me. And I don't mean a fleeting unpleasantness. I mean I had to get up immediately and retrieve a whole new roll of paper towels from the garage and clean up the source of evil. Saoirse had been uninterested in eating for much of the weekend, and last night she demonstrated forcefully just how sick she was. I made her sleep in the garage last night, so cleanup would be easier (and I'm glad I did), and I slept fitfully worrying about her. I woke at 6:45 to go check on her, and get her outside while I cleaned some more. It was a bit of a negotiation to get her into the vet first thing, but I got her scheduled for a drop-off visit. She ended up being so clingy to me, unwilling to walk off with the vet tech, that they fully caved and put us in a room to check her out immediately. She was down several pounds and noticeably dehydrated. They gave her a shot that she didn't like (I'm not sure what the ingredient was that stung, but it also had B12 in it), and then 300ml of sub-q fluids. Now she is on a bland diet, prebiotic and metronidazole (Was I supposed to do those at the same time? Maybe I should verify that.) and an antidiarrheal. She seems a bit perkier. Me, I ended up sleeping most of the day, to make up for a stressful night.

I bought a plane ticket to go to my cousin's wake this weekend. I'm glad I was able to fly. I wasn't looking forward to driving like 14 hours each way. I don't remember exactly how long it takes to get there, but I remember that driving through northern Oklahoma stretches time in a weird way that always doubles how long you still have to drive, no matter how close you think you are. I found an almost affordable ticket, considering it's five days before departure, traveling at less than optimal times, but I'll deal with it. 

I didn't get to spend a ton of time working outside today, but I did get around to smell some of the roses. They're all going gangbusters right now, including the ones I never got around to pruning this spring. There are several around where the flagstone patio will eventually go, that I will attend when we get closer to working on that project. It's not high on my list this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment