Thursday, June 16, 2022

Siphon

Inspirational song: No Spill Blood (Oingo Boingo)

Saw my beloved rheumatologist this morning. She asked me if anything had changed since she saw me last, right after the last surgery. I was so excited to tell her how busy I have been over the last couple months, gardening, working hard, breathing better. I was overdue for being able to share really good news. I did temper it a little, explaining that I have wildly overdone it as often as I can get away with, and am often sore and inflamed. So when she did my regular lab work, she added on a bunch of extra markers to check. The list of tests to run covered three pages (I looked at the orders I was to give the phlebotomist), and the guy kept grabbing vial after vial to fill. I ended up having to bleed out of both arms, when the first one ran dry. I'm pretty sure there were at least 8 vials, but maybe more, because he pitched two spoiled ones.

Because of work schedules, game schedules, and my imminent trip to Oklahoma, we celebrated Father's Day tonight. I made a Carolina style pulled pork, potato salad, veggie kebabs, and grilled eggplant. I shopped first thing this morning and loaded up the crock pot before racing down to north Denver for my appointment. Once I got back, I was on my feet for hours getting all of the vegetable dishes prepped and cooked. By the time we took everything to the kids' house to eat and play a new game, I was literally and figuratively drained. I made those two honored fathers fix my plate and bring it to me.

And I haven't packed yet. Have I mentioned how much I love my family, for making the wake "Hawaiian shirt casual" so I can pack light and easy? I'm going to challenge myself to get in one briefcase-size purse as a carry-on, and leave stress behind. Unfortunately, I'll be leaving behind all my snuggle bunnies. Saoirse and Athena will be so upset with me for going. We will have to cuddle extra tonight to make it last.

No comments:

Post a Comment