Friday, June 17, 2022

The Home Country

Inspirational song: Living on Tulsa Time (Eric Clapton)

I have arrived safely in the land of my people. I had to wait an extra two hours before actually getting on the plane, but that gave me enough time to have an early dinner with Papa and toddler. He gets to babysit solo while I'm gone, so let's hope they don't take over northern Colorado in a flurry of shenanigans.

The flight was mostly uneventful. A few bumps as we climbed, but smooth as glass once we were at altitude. The sky was pure haze from western wildfires. It was disconcerting not to be able to see the ground at all until we were on final decent. The plane was tiny, just four seats across, but I had more leg room and butt space than any plane I have been on in 20 years. Who knew? I hope I get to fly this airframe again on the way home.

I can't remember the last time I made it down to my parents' house. That's not great. I should come here more often, and under much less sad circumstances than for a wake. I'm just glad the dogs settled down as soon as they realized I was there for fun. I doubt they remember me, and that's totally on me. The cats here are another story. Pretty sure they think I'm a space alien, for as much of a wide berth as they are giving me. I expect that will change by tomorrow. At least I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment