Saturday, June 11, 2022

Melting

Inspirational song: Heat Wave (Martha and the Vandellas)

June is not supposed to be this hot in northern Colorado. It's supposed to be wetter, too. I'm not down with this 99 degrees and drought nonsense. Do not want. Zero stars. All the slang.

I still don't have air conditioning in my 63 year old house. It was so rarely necessary here, and I'm a miser when it comes to electricity, even though (especially though?) we create our own off the roof. But this year the whole house fan motor decided we could go rot, and we haven't replaced it yet. So there is a better than average chance I'm going to pull the portable air conditioner out of the closet and give it a spin. After a full summer never needing that thing once, it feels like giving up. But today was flat-out awful. I'll have to do something.

I went to breakfast with the girls this morning, before babysitting. I am astounded every day with how beautiful and smart that child is. She has made the full flip from shy observer to gregarious chatterbox. She repeats everything we say, and she demonstrates that she understands as well. This morning her mommy dressed her in plaid and pulled her hair into a ponytail, and looking at her, she and I both decided she needed handyman lessons. I tell you what, that kid is going to know her way around a tool bench by the time she is in middle school, knowing this family. Still to be determined how much she will like DIY, but she will have the skills to do whatever she wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment