Saturday, July 9, 2022

Aplomb

Inspirational song: The Story of Tonight (Hamilton)

For the first time in a good long while, I felt like experimenting with new flavors for dinner. We had a ton of things from the last Costco run, so I started giving my mind a little room to roam. I settled on pork chops with a plum sauce. I cut up four fresh plums, and simmered them slowly with fresh herbs from the container garden, a little lemon, brown sugar, and near the end, some balsamic vinegar. I sautéed the pork chops with a little butter, and then deglazed the pan with a quarter cup of white rum. Once the alcohol had cooked off, I combined that with the plum sauce. It was utterly amazing. If you want to test this out on your own, I believe the herbs I got were basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, and lemon verbena. As for my kitchen, I believe this one is a keeper.

This was our first 100 degree day of the season. I know many of you have had them much sooner than we did, but I suspect most of you also have actual air conditioning. I was up at first light, shutting off the whole house fan and closing all the windows. It worked pretty well. The house stayed tolerable until early evening, when the door started getting opened more often and stayed open too long. Between around 6 and 8 this evening, it got a little overwarm, but it's back to being pleasant again. As long as the nights cool off, this method works.

To keep the toddler from overheating, she and Papa went down to the wading ponds at the river. (I stayed home out of the sun.) I heard she tripped and got a little bonk, but once her feet hit the water, she forgot all about the fall. They stayed out about an hour, and when she got back, she settled down with some apple juice and laid on my bed watching Moana until she fell asleep. That wore her out. Tomorrow we will take her to the mountains so all of us get to cool off. Those ought to be some cute photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment