Friday, July 29, 2022

Intermission

Inspirational song: Songbird (Fleetwood Mac)

As expected, yesterday's activity turned into today's lethargy. I got the recovery day I needed. I tidied the kitchen, watered my plants up front, and made dinner for the family. Didn't do a whole lot beyond that. I mean, I'm impressed I got a shower and clean clothes on, so don't be surprised when I say I had a major nap this afternoon.

I keep hearing nutritionists and climate scientists talking about how we humans should eat more beans and such, and cut back on animal products. This has made me crave pinto beans and cornbread like crazy, but it wasn't until tonight that I finally made it. The recipe I used for cornbread was pretty basic, off the cornmeal container. I just swapped out Cup 4 Cup flour, and added a touch of xantham gum. But since our oven has been dying for months (raises temp so slowly that it never reaches full power), I had to improvise. I used a cast iron skillet to soften a mirepoix for the beans, and while the skillet was still hot, I dumped in cornbread batter. The oven was a balmy 220 degrees when I put the bread in, and I just let it go until it smelled done, almost an hour later. Can't say as slow-roasted cornbread is the usual method, but it came out pretty nice anyway. Who needs an oven that heats all the way up? (Me. I do. I will want to bake pies and stuff this fall.)

No comments:

Post a Comment