Friday, July 1, 2022

Better Every Day

Inspirational song: Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe (Barry White)

Of all the things I did today, there was really only one thing that will stick with me after the day is over. It was a babysitting day, and like every day before, I was dazzled by the light-speed development of that young mind. Her personality expands exponentially nearly every day now. She's so smart, so full of mischief. When she was first dropped off, her mommy took a potty break (I mean, 8+ months pregnant, that's all one does), and Val went sneaking in to the bathroom. I heard a grownup voice say "hey!" and a toddler voice say "steal!" She came running out with a phone in her hand, and plopped down in the chair to open up apps she liked.

We cuddled on the bed and watched one of her two favorite movies (Moana), and snacked and talked. One of these days she will branch out and we will have other things to watch at times like this, but for now, we just sing along to the tunes she likes. It's really cool watching her learn to sing. It reminds me so strongly of her auntie being a toddler, when I picked her up from the babysitter, who showed off how they had learned a song together. I didn't know the song, so I had trouble following along. I've always felt like I didn't give that moment the weight it deserved, and for 30 years it stuck with me that I could have reacted better. I don't want to make that mistake again.

Now that Val can pretty much go anywhere and get into anything, given an opportunity, I decided it was time to get more serious about how my medications are stored around here. I pulled tons of bottles out of the cabinet where I had been keeping them, consolidated a few, and put them in an actual lock box with a combination. I realized how many old things need to be disposed of, like old antacids or antibiotics that I failed on. I have to go by the pharmacy tomorrow anyway. Might be time to see what their safe disposal options are.


No comments:

Post a Comment