Saturday, July 2, 2022

Woof

Inspirational song: Stylo (Gorillaz ft. Mos Def and Bobby Womack)

Some babysitting days are harder than others. Early on in my shift, during the solo section, I found myself absolutely overstimulated. The kid was climbing up in my chair, bouncing around a little, grabbing at any devices I might have been holding, getting down, running around, and coming back to do it all over again. You know, normal kid stuff. But for me, it was overwhelming. By the time Papa showed up with our lunch, I was so relieved to see another adult I nearly cried. He took over, fed her what he brought home, and then took her to the park to burn up some energy. That gave me plenty of time to unwind and feel better. 

Nap time was a little struggle too, but after half a Disney movie and plenty of juice to rehydrate after the park, she eventually settled and slept. We got a good hour in before the dog came in after her dinner. She hopped up on the bed, and with steering, managed not to flop down on the sleeping child. We stirred, but did not wake. We all went back to sleep, until something outside alerted Saoirse, and she barked loudly once. Then the real meltdown started. Apparently toddlers do not appreciate waking from a sound sleep to the deep woof of a large dog a few feet from their heads. 

After ten or fifteen minutes of failing to calm the baby, we ran a bubble bath and that finally got through to her. But even that had its issues, and she got upset halfway through it. It isn't always easy being a cute little kid. She makes it work out, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment