Monday, July 18, 2022

Birthday

Inspirational song: Oh Boy! (Buddy Holly)

Grandma is two for two. As certain as I was that Val would be Valerie, I was more than a little sure that Dmitri would be Dmitri. And guess what? Dmitri arrived exactly on schedule early this afternoon! He has a bunch of dark brown hair, that may or may not stick around through infancy, and the cutest squishy little face. While it is always hard to tell what babies will look like on their first day on the outside, I'm pretty sure I can see common family traits in him, both our side and his daddy's.

For those who want to know, he weighed 7 lbs, 3 oz, and was 18 inches long. Mommy is doing beautifully, which is no surprise. She is a natural mom, the best I've ever seen. Dmitri has already demonstrated that he digs this whole eating thing. All reports are that he is doing all the first day baby things just right. By the evening video chats, he had already lost the puffy red face from birth, and was looking adorable.

Valerie will be with us for a couple days while her parents stay in the hospital with baby. We've had our ups and downs. She has developed a little fear of Saoirse, which is awkward. She is also in a picky eater phase, so we are pretty much giving her any calories she will accept. And best of all, she alerted me to some unsecured breakables in my room, by bringing them to the doorway to the living room and smashing them on the floor. Yay! (They were cheap solar path lights, so mostly we were concerned about broken glass, not damaged goods.)

Okay, I know what people want to see. Pictures. Behold, my new grandson Dmitri!

No comments:

Post a Comment