Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Bebe Ndetie

Inspirational song: Higher Love (Steve Winwood)

We did an adequate job talking up Dmitri every time we showed his image to Valerie. By the time she got to see him in person, she was fascinated. She was happy to see mommy and daddy after more than two full days apart, but she showed keen interest in this tiny baby they brought to show her. Not sure how this interest will fare once his cries start interfering with her sleep, but we will cross that bridge later. For now, she loves her new little brother. She can even almost say his name.

We were at the house waiting for them when they got home from the hospital. When they walked in holding the tiniest little man in monkey jammies, we all fell in love in an instant. Even knowing how small all of us are when we are fresh, it is still a surprise to see and hold someone who weighs less than the average housecat. (Granted, my average might be a little skewed.) I said it yesterday, and I will say it many times: he gets cuter every time I see him. I swear his face got even more perfect over the course of the evening as we sat with him. Everyone except Valerie got good Dmitri cuddle time. Man, those kids make good babies.

I had every intention of doing all the cooking here, so I didn't have to stand in their kitchen making the welcome home dinner. That didn't quite work as planned. I had the Rotkraut pre-made, and a gluten-free Apfelstrudel prepped but not baked. I still had to make Schnitzel and fresh garden zucchini there, plus baking the Strudel. I told my daughter, if there is a third child, she is getting a casserole and she's going to like it. I didn't get photographic evidence, but I successfully made a flaky, crispy, GF puff pastry. Holy cow. It would have been easier in cold weather, so this will come around again this fall.

Papa sent a photo of Dmitri to the game group chat, and said his first word would be "Inconceivable!" The photo is below. If you know, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment