Saturday, October 21, 2023

Back to Status Quo

Inspirational song: Coming into Los Angeles (Arlo Guthrie)

Our family has once again separated to our respective homes. We had the kids today, as usual, and we took them with us to the airport to send their auntie back home. She has checked in this evening to say she landed, and I dropped the kids off with their parents as soon as I got back to town. For the sake of complete data, Dmitri still does not like long car rides with his grandparents. Not one bit. He was in the car about two and a half hours, and that was two and a half hours too much.

I'm grateful to my daughter's college friend for getting married this week, spurring my daughter to fly out on a day that just happened to have been my birthday. It's hard for me to go so long without seeing her. I'll get to see her again in December, and that is a much more acceptable time gap.

It was also good for the kids to get to spend time with her. They need to get a feel for who auntie is, other than us just referring to a random relative who they never see. Valerie really enjoyed playing with her and telling her all sorts of things. Dmitri is working on his communication skills with all of us, so he had a little disadvantage on how much could be conveyed between them. He had a few very clear words while she was here (like "out" and "juice") but his vocabulary in December could be very different. We should work on "auntie" while his understanding of who she is is fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment