Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Garland Search

Inspirational song: My Hometown (Charlie Robison)

I drove one of my buddies to a medical appointment this afternoon. All I had to do was drop her off, and her son would take her home after. So I found myself out and about with free time and a desire to look at pretty things. I asked my daughter if she wanted to wander around, and she said she had to clean, but there was a little girl who would enjoy going with me.

As I drove up Main Street, on my way to acquire Valerie, I really looked around. The leaves are starting to fall now, and they were blowing around as a cold front rolled in. For the second time in a month, I was struck with the deep-in-my-heart knowledge that this town is my home now. Downtown looked so beautiful to me. I knew that while we girls were out shopping, I was going to buy tickets for that ridiculous Powerball jackpot, but it was apparent to me that even should I win, I wouldn't leave this town. It makes me happy to be here.

I have been wanting to decorate that long white antenna cable that I strung a third of the way around my room. I figured camouflage would be useless, so it would be more fun to drape it in lights or garland, or both. I have a particular fondness for holly (thanks to Grandma Eleanor's landscaping choices), and I thought I could find a nice faux holly garland. Not so much. They all looked cheap on Amazon, but cost way too much. I thought I'd try Hobby Lobby (don't judge me). Valerie and I walked all over the store, and looked at pretty much every available garland (and with Christmas about 9 weeks away, there were bunches). The greenery ones that were pretty were like 60 bucks regular price (all Xmas 50% off), and the cheaper ones looked awful. There were some interesting macrame, rope, and burlap ones. We ended up choosing a couple rope ones with little brass bells. I am going to try to macrame around it, and see whether I can come up with something I like.

As we slow-walked around Hobby Lobby, every three or four steps, Valerie would say, "Wait, wait, grandma! We need to look at this!" We had to test every light-up clear plastic Christmas tree. We looked at giant ribbons. We looked at wooden trees. We touched everything. We should try Michael's next, to see what appeals to her there. If I feel particularly brave, I'll take her to Home Goods sometime. She is very excited to help me decorate for Christmas in a month.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment