Monday, October 9, 2023

The Solution

Inspirational song: Weird Science (Oingo Boingo)

Nothing was really working. I'd switched to the Kirkland version of NyQuil pills even before the kids went home today, because I was so desperate to have clear lungs. For days I have been coughing so hard I have to dash to the potty even before the coughing fits end. I was already groggy when the kids left, but I was awake enough to scroll through YouTube. And there it was, a Vox video about how the currently ubiquitous decongestant doesn't work, and the manufacturers know it. I knew already that phenylephrine was crap, but for some reason, I was still taking it. It's what I had. But not long ago, as I was coming back from a potty-dash, I stopped at the hall closet, and checked in the cold medicine drawer. There it was: Real Sudafed. The stuff you have to sign for at the pharmacy, to prove you aren't cooking meth. I took two of them with a nice seasonal glass of apple cider. In less than twenty minutes, I started breathing freely. I haven't coughed once since then. A week of misery ended just like that. I am never giving another minute of my time to that crap that is known by the FDA to be no better than placebo. 

We went to brunch with a dear old friend today. Mr S-P has known her since junior high, and I've known her since we worked together when I was pregnant with daughter number two. In fact, not only was she named that daughter's godmother, she was present at the birth, with a prime view of the event. She has moved out of the country now, six blocks from a beach. She is beautiful in her self-assurance and happiness, and we had a wonderful visit. I wish she wasn't so far away, but one of these days I'll get my butt in gear and update my passport so I can spend a week at her beach.

Now that I can breathe, I'm really looking forward to sleeping tonight. I bet I go out like a light, and stay fully asleep until the Sudafed wears off. I haven't been well-rested in a week (well-rested for me, which is still pretty sleep deprived) and I expect tomorrow to be pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment