Saturday, October 7, 2023

Eked Out a W

Inspirational song: Taking Care of Business (Bachman-Turner Overdrive)

I'm totally going to steal a random photo from the group chat. I didn't take any of value for today. I was focused on other things that seemed more imperative. It was a kid day, and I tried so hard to get things safe and clean. Over the last week, I littered several low surfaces with cold debris, like DayQuil pill wrappers, tissues, and the liquid NyQuil bottle. None of it was appropriate to leave for little hands. And last night was particularly rough, as wet coughs go. Stuff was everywhere.

The kids were pretty saturated with fun by the time they arrived. Grandpa went over to retrieve them on foot, and they rode back in their cool two-seater wagon stroller. They went by a park, and played hard, then went to the thrift store where they got Valerie a new-to-her puzzle and some cast iron cookware for Grandpa to take to the cabin. There was some playtime in the backyard, and they watched a movie they hadn't seen before (Onward). Dmitri is inching ever closer to recognizable language. At the end of the day, he found a large water glass I failed to put out of his reach, tried to drink from it, drenched himself, and dropped the glass next to my bed. I swear as he walked away, he said, "good job." Sort of.

It was so hard for me to focus on babysitting for the final two hours they were here. It was football time. I had the game playing on a streaming radio app on my phone. The house was extra chaotic around me, but I clung to that phone and paid attention as best as I could. It was a long, long game. It provided hours of tension. Not until the final few seconds of the game did we know how it would turn out. By the end I was rocking in my chair, muttering "please make this kick, I don't want to go to overtime" while the cat in my lap looked at me funny. They did make the kick, and CU did win, but we were put through the wringer to get there. Maybe we could have an easy win one of these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment