Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Light in the Darkness

Inspirational song: The Weight (The Band)

Well, that didn't go as well as I had hoped. After my long assessment at the physical therapy clinic yesterday, I was told that I need to find the happy middle between overtraining and sitting on my rear end, complaining about how long my leg is staying gimpy. So today I went back and did what I thought was a nice, short, easy workout. I walked for no more than eight minutes on the treadmill. I piddled around for five minutes on a recumbent elliptical. I only used five weight machines. Granted, the first one of those was my favorite, the leg press, and I did pick up exactly where I left off, with six sets of fifteen, at moderate weight (130). I thought this all qualified as taking it easy. My body is telling me differently. My leg is burning, and my feet feel like someone crushed them between cinder blocks. I'm even wiped out tired too. It makes no sense. But I will press on.

I know a lot of people complain heartily about all the stores putting out Christmas decorations and supplies the moment the last porch light goes off from trick-or-treating. I don't have anything positive to say about the idea of making the "season" last for two full months. Except maybe this... As I drove to the Y, I went past a small-town downtown park. The trees were already lit with white lights, and the bushes were filled with multi-colored fairy lights. Hands down, all the little twinkly lights are the best part about the winter holidays. I can take or leave almost everything else, but I think my soul would shrivel up and die if I didn't get a yearly dose of those tiny glowing dots to stare at in the dark. Some restaurants and city parks keep white lights in topiaries all year round, and I admit, I really like it. I had to crush the urge to dig out a few lights tonight, to put up in my living room, so I can turn them on every night, tree or no tree. (Now that I think on it, I do have that ficus tree that needs to come in off the porch. It's twinkle lights time!)


No comments:

Post a Comment