Monday, November 25, 2013

Decompression

Inspirational song: I Could Have Danced All Night (My Fair Lady)

Today was the big reveal. I had an appointment for which the physical therapist was a no-show, and I was able to jet out of the clinic early, so I could get home in time to meet my fellow club member who helped me transport the sign to the holiday display. She showed up exactly on time, in a short bed pickup that brought back some memories (of me feeling badass as I drove into the home improvement yard in Oklahoma in my man's short bed Nissan Frontier, to pick up a bunch of insulation, and the man in the yard drawled, "No one ever come here in a truck that small 'afore.") We balanced the board in the back, and she had tie-down straps to keep it from taking flight while we drove. My resistance band they gave me at physical therapy served as our red flag. It was the best I could find. I think we were the second to last of the cards to arrive. Several others were already stood up, back to back, along the route. I looked a few of them over, and, dammit if I didn't suddenly feel deeply inadequate. I posted my picture on my personal facebook page, of us standing in the sun holding the completed sign, and my dear friends have commented with words of encouragement. But really, I saw at least three I liked better than mine. I have to hope that my lettering and my message of family and inclusiveness appeals to the judges. I will be amazed if we place.

Once the sign was submitted, I came home and spent a few hours just dumping stress. I cleaned a little, took some trash out, and gave myself time to decompress. And then, just when I was getting my second wind, I went to get the massage I so fortuitously had already arranged for tonight. I was positively manic when I met up with my regular massage therapist. Even he said he'd never seen me acting so goofy and energetic. I was just so relieved to have the big project done. Well, one of the big November projects is done. Tomorrow I need to get back to writing. I need to write about 11,000 words a day to get the deadline. That is so not going to happen.

There were a few pictures that didn't make it here as I painted. The cats considered the sign their personal dance floor while it was here.

No comments:

Post a Comment