Friday, November 15, 2013

Blank Canvas

Inspirational song: I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (Jimmy Boyd)

I have a fresh, blank sheet of plywood leaning against my piano right now. It is destined to be our club's holiday sign, one short week from now. What I don't have yet is a clear plan for this year's theme. And that is today's source of consternation. When my fellow club member brought the wood to me (she drives a much larger vehicle than I), we kicked around some detail ideas. We both really like Americana themes, and we talked about ways to incorporate that. And we checked the rules of the contest and were disappointed to learn we can't use a battery-operated anything, nor any wired power, so solar-powered twinkle lights are out. One possible alternative would be to buy little mirrors at the craft store, and dangle them so they catch sunlight and car headlights. It was her idea, and it was great. This is a competition, y'all. We need to grab the eye.

We either need to keep the message non-specific, as in "happy holidays," or we need to be inclusive of all of the different celebrations on our entry. I don't know why, but I feel strongly about using a wreath this year for a three-dimensional effect. Unfortunately, that's as far as I have made it. (Not entirely true. I did come up with a visual pun using the wreath and our club name, but I suspect it would be highly inappropriate and disqualified.) I'm supposed to have some women come over on Sunday to work on it. I hope they have spent enough time on Pinterest to have a ready plan.

I wish I had found a way to rescue last year's entry, before the deadline in January, after which it was headed for the woodchipper. I was so very proud of it. One of our club members inspired me to use the iconic image of the Times Square kiss, and I decided to blend in a hefty dose of the homecoming videos that are so popular, with a smidge of I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. It was all done with paint, two-dimensional. I was super pleased with how it turned out, and it was good enough to win third place. I had some input from other club members on wording, but I only had one person give me any help at all on the actual painting. She helped to rough in the lettering. This year, I am going to try and distribute the work load a lot more evenly. But the benchmark has been set. I only want to improve over last year. Second place or first. I'm in it to win it.

No comments:

Post a Comment