Sunday, November 17, 2013

Distractions

Inspirational song: Play the Game (Queen)

I had so many things I could have done, and more importantly should have done today. Primarily, I was supposed to spend the afternoon working on the holiday sign. But my assistants bailed on me (one canceled and one dropped off the face of the earth), and I still don't have a hard and fast design. I sanded down yesterday's spackle, and put one coat of old paint from the garage as a primer, and that is where I left it.

How could I be productive when the sports were calling me? It was an interdisciplinary sort of weekend, and so far it has all gone my way. I heard the second half of my team's basketball game yesterday, and it was a blowout win for us. And then, that evening, I caught a little of our football game last night on the radio, in between the parties and fun. That game also went well, and we ended up with our first conference win of the year (and our second one since joining the PAC 12--how sad). Today, the flashy lights of the television entirely distracted me. When not painting a pale gray on a sheet of plywood, I spent most of my day watching pro football, and watching my fantasy football team rack up points. Not that I expect to win that match-up. My team is 2-8 on the season, in the basement of the league. I'm even the league commissioner, and I have the worst record of all. I do find it funny that the first place team is called "Please, Please, Not Last Place." She needn't have worried. I have last place all sewed up.

One of the photos I have today is of Athena, supervising me while I prepared the board. This was before she slapped her paw down on the wet paint and then stepped on our vintage record cabinet (the aforementioned "time machine"). Luckily the prints came off. The other shows how extensive the board preparation was. I thought about smoothing it out further, but how can I when the football is still happening? All the orange and blue and white is distracting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment