Monday, November 18, 2013

Art Czar

Inspirational song: Protest Song (Neil Innes)

Performing live with Monty Python, Neil Innes introduced his Protest Song by announcing, "Ladies and gentlemen, I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn." Last week, when I was so upset with my reversal of fortunes, my man referenced that line, when he told me that now I can actually say I have suffered for my art. I'm not sure getting well and truly pissed off at a financial injustice counts as suffering, but I went with it.

Tonight, the real suffering began. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself, but over and over, I try to create while sprawled out on the floor. It hurt when I was twenty-five and cutting fabric for my costume designs on the floor, and I has never improved, the older and less flexible I have gotten. When all of my promised helpers vanished into the ether, I decided it would be a great idea to drag the plywood into the room with the television, so I would have no excuse not to be working on it all day long. It's right in front of me, so I can't blow it off. I moved furniture and put it on the floor, thinking it was the only place it fit. I managed to get half of the exterior white paint down it longwise, before I was crying in pain, and had to take a break. I think I need to try to prop it up on the two ottomans in here. I don't think I can take it getting back on the floor for the other side. And crouching over that bucket of vile-smelling paint, killing my brain cells--I'm not going to protest it. THAT counts as suffering tonight.

Unsurprisingly, less than thirty seconds after I sat on the couch, there was an exceptionally naughty kitten racing across the still tacky white paint, tracking it on my wood floor. She protested when I picked her up and made her leave the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment