Saturday, November 9, 2013

Mild and Indulgent

Inspirational song: In the Mood (Robert Plant)

There is something inherently tempting about being miles from home, with a full tank of gas, and no plans on a Saturday night. It's almost dangerous to find yourself aimlessly driving up the coast, allowing yourself to be swept along in the current of traffic, all the other cars full of people driving with a mission--someone to see, something to buy, somewhere to reach. As for me, all I wanted to do was daydream and test how long I could ride in the afternoon light before it stopped being fun. Usually this orange-yellow light means an immediate migraine, but today the brain gods have shown me mercy. My entire drive was completed in bemused joy, and miraculously, in my relaxed state I neither rear-ended one of the hundred cars that stopped short in front of me, nor was I hit by anyone driving far too closely behind me. 

Although the urge was there to just keep driving north, merely to take in different scenery, I eventually remembered that I had a grocery item I needed to buy, and I drove with a purpose to find Whole Foods. The grocery stores I frequent up where I live have stopped carrying local honey, and I use it regularly to keep my allergies under control (and it works!!! Do it!), so I had a valid reason to set foot in the danger zone. I was feeling pretty smug after having found it without making a single wrong turn or having another shouting match with my nav system like I had in May. I was overconfident I could walk in there and leave with only the honey, or maybe just a vegetable or two for dinner. By the time I left, I was just glad I only used the top basket of the little cart. So far I've only eaten the gourmet cheese and pita chips. I think from now on, when the cheese sign reads "buttery, mild, and indulgent," I will believe it. It was all of those. Now, on to the organic artichoke. (Yes, chemistry majors, I am aware that the literal meaning of that word is "containing carbon.") 

What got me so far from home, in such a mellow, happy mood, was a bridal shower for a terrific young couple in the Bonfire group. We haven't gotten to see a whole lot of them lately, between their work demands and planning for their wedding. These two are smart and hip and very charming. It's so sweet to see young love leading to a bright future for a very deserving couple. Mazeltov, kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment