Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Back At It

Inspirational song: Since You Been Gone (Rainbow)

There is a danger in doing things well. If you don't make something look like a struggle, you risk being asked to repeat your accomplishments. Maybe if I had made that Rotary fundraiser pie plate trophy look like crap, I wouldn't now be on the hook to make a smaller one for the youth prize, and two signs for ticket sales/check in and additional pie sales. And yes, the Throw Down at Pie Noon is this Saturday. No problem, right? I'll just use a whole lot more Sharpie and a whole lot less paint. I do worry, however, that the youth trophy is glass like the adult team trophy. Does no one make metal pie plates anymore? Okay, I only looked at Target and WalMart, but I would have thought that I could have found one there. Is there anywhere else I can try? I don't have a whole lot of time left to shop around.

Not counting that week where I had such a vicious relapse, I feel like the giant flare that robbed me of most of my 2016 is finally starting to recede. I am not as strong as I was in my teens, and never will be again. But I feel like my compliance with my excessive medication and supplement routine has made remission possible. My composure is coming back. My willingness to take on projects is returning. My physical strength is sneaking back, little by little. This year still sucks. No way around that. But it is starting to suck slightly less.

This evening, as the roommate and I started our walk by depositing trash in the can, my phone buzzed, telling me that I had already hit my daily walking minutes goal. But there I was, with energy and a good attitude, and rather than give up and say good enough, I insisted we go uphill, on one of the longest routes we have taken yet. We averaged a half a mile per hour faster pace too. I made two and a half times my minutes goal, and obliterated my step target. Back in February, when I limped on a cane after my hospital stay, I wondered whether I'd ever get here again. I am not taking this person for granted ever again. I'm so glad that she may be back.








No comments:

Post a Comment