Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Step by Step

Inspirational song: I Will Follow (U2)

I wasn't imagining it. I really am getting closer to my happy place. Things I had been dreading are completed now, and sandbags full of stress are falling off of me. It's like being in a hot air balloon and shedding ballast. This evening, the roommate and I went for our normal walk at the park with the little lake, for him to catch Pokemon and for me to follow along for the exercise and entertainment, and it was a glorious night. There were giant thunderheads to the south, and the electrical storm inside of them never stopped, not for a minute. I told him it felt special to me, like we'd won a prize or were in the bonus round somehow, getting to be out with that light show. The cloud formation reminded us of the scene in Fantasia where Zeus was throwing out copious thunderbolts. We were both in excellent moods, walking quickly and joking the whole way around. We even did two full loops of the lake and park trails, because we felt so electrified by the looming storm. A mere month ago, I was getting tired and my knees were aching over traveling twenty minutes around a few city blocks. Tonight we walked briskly for closer to fifty minutes, and it wasn't until well past mile two that my hips, knees, and feet started to complain to me. The progress is going so much faster than I ever imagined. This is definitely the path to my happy place.

For the record, I know I have trouble posting videos on this blog, mostly because I'm not as tech savvy as I pretend to be. So I put a short video of the lightning on the Scenes From Smith Park Facebook page, if you are interested in seeing the show we saw.

I'm not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I have been outed as an artist for the Rotary group. After the pie plates and the work I did on the signs for the parade float, they have a small idea what I'm capable of. So today, after the meeting, the current president came up to me and asked me to make signs to put up for our other fundraiser, selling Palisade peaches from a parking lot not all that far from this house. The former mayor was standing right next to us when I got the assignment, and she heard my question about whether he wanted me to affix signs to the streetlight posts or what. She put her hand on my arm and said, "Please don't do that. That's actually illegal." So it looks like it may be time for me to invest in my first sandwich board, which I ought to have available for open houses anyway. I wonder where to buy them.

My paperwork that I dreaded for months is complete, notarized, and ready to be submitted in the morning. That was the biggest sandbag full of stress to fall away. I am so relieved that my friend took me under her wing and led me through this process. After all that she did for me, I would follow her through hell and back if she asked me to. As it is, I am taking all of her advice to heart, and doing exactly as she instructs me to do. I don't need to start improvising now. I'll take the well-worn path.




No comments:

Post a Comment