Friday, August 5, 2016

Going for Gold

Inspirational song: The Girl from Ipanema (Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz)

It's appropriate, is it not, that as we sit and watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics, that I'm tired and sore from our evening walk around the neighborhood. I'm watching these young dancers glide, spin, and parkour around the stadium, and I'm amazed and impressed, even by the most basic of moves. The way I feel right now, setting my feet on the floor so I can balance a laptop over my legs is the limit of my athleticism. Yet, I will assume this position (sitting on the couch) often over the next few weeks, and catch myself critiquing people a thousand times more fit than myself. I promise, I see the irony. Or hypocrisy. Whatever. They can all do things I can only dream of at this stage of my life. I knew by the time I was eight or nine years old I was never going to be an Olympic gymnast, but that never stopped me from forming opinions on who did the best tumbling runs every four years. I haven't chosen all my favorites yet this time around. I tend not to cheer only for my own country. I watch these games with what might be termed a fantasy football kind of strategy.

As we returned home after our walk, I detoured by the Unless garden, to check progress and pull a few weeds. My roommate pointed out how successful we've been in keeping the weeds in check thus far. There is still work to do in there, to root out the crabgrass, plantain, and a few thistles. But I have to admit he's right. We have kept it fairly clean. We're living up to its motto. "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing it going to get better, it's not." I have cared for it to the best of my ability. It is paying returns already. It gets easier every time to make progress on weed control. And the dahlias that were planted right at the end of that garden's creation are healthy and so close to blooming. There are several gold-yellow buds just waiting to explode. I've never successfully grown dahlias before. This is exciting to me.

You know, there is something these Olympians are doing that I'm capable of. I could walk and wave a flag at the same time. Even in an open-air stadium (at night.) Aren't you proud of me? They should take me to the next round of games. I could medal in the processional.





No comments:

Post a Comment