Saturday, August 20, 2016

Chatty

Inspirational song: Let Me Go (Heaven 17)

As recently as Thursday morning, I thought my Saturday was completely empty. Not the way it worked out. I ended up overbooked and liking it. I was going to spend a leisurely day finishing up the painting on that pie throw down trophy. And then it was painting and designing a flyer for the open house. And then it was painting, flyer, and picking up my daughter from the airport. And then it was painting, flyer, daughter, and giving a ride home to a newly-made friend. Then painting, flyer, daughter, friend, and going out to dinner. Painting, flyer, daughter, friend, dinner, and coffee with family. You see how things kept adding up? There are only two hours left in this day, and I still have important tasks left on my plate. Like learning from the mistakes of the last open house, and getting my signs found, updated, and in the car tonight, not half an hour before the open house starts. I probably ought to load other things in the car tonight and do research for a client too, but I think I've made my point about my endless list.

What was I complaining about yesterday? Not meeting new people? Not twenty four hours later, and I'm feeling much less isolated from the yet-to-be-met world. Maybe I just needed my daughter to break the ice for me. She made a friend on her weekend trip, and when she asked whether I could give her a ride to Boulder, naturally I said yes. We had a wonderful time talking, getting to know her, and having a fabulous dinner in a new-to-us restaurant. I hope that this new contact pans out into a good friend.

I'm feeling a little talked out at this point. I've done a lot of bonding, reconnecting, unloading, planning, and theorizing all day. I can't tell whether I feel better or worse, weaker or stronger, calmer or more angry. I just feel more informed, and more visible. For now, that's enough.

A final word about the restaurant we found. It has been open for almost two years, but I only now found this place that serves 100% grain-free, gluten-free, locally sourced, organic, etc food. I told the young women I dined with that I was tempted to hug the restaurant staff on the way inside, just to express my gratitude that the place exists at all. I can't wait to go back for brunch one day, to try the cashew batter waffles. Seriously. Doesn't it sound divine?



No comments:

Post a Comment