Monday, August 22, 2016

Lagging Behind


Inspirational song: Magic Carpet Ride (Steppenwolf)

There's a problem with being totally run down or outright sick for a week. You find yourself a week behind where you ought to be, after blowing off everything you were supposed to have done. Or maybe I should use the pronoun I, since I ought not accuse my readership of doing this. I certainly did, though. And now I have so many loose ends to tie up that I don't want to start any of them.

I looked at the pie plate trophy that I never finished painting this afternoon. I mean I looked at it. Brushed some dust off of it where it had collected over the last couple weeks, from cats walking over the top of it. I traced around the rim of it onto paper and tried to sketch out the words "2016 World Champions" like the men in my committee wanted me to paint there. I just didn't have art in me to spare today. The letters were uneven and sloppy and I was glad I wasn't trying to write directly on the plate yet. I would have ruined it. I have to hope that I can rise early enough tomorrow to make progress, because tomorrow afternoon is the last committee meeting and the event is this Saturday.

I suppose I should be pleased that I have gotten back to work the last couple days. Sure, yesterday's open house was a bust, but tonight we were back in my clients' favorite neighborhood, getting refocused on what they really want and need. I have a laser sight on it now, and it's just a matter of waiting for houses to come on the market. Things have slowed down considerably, which might actually work in my favor. I haven't given up yet.

After two breathtaking utility bills in a row, I've accustomed myself to manually adjusting my biggest energy and resource consumers, the sprinklers and the hot tub. I have to shut them both off completely to keep them from running all of the time, costing me money I don't have these days. But after a hot, dry weekend, the sprinklers need to run tonight, and when I got back from showing houses, I reset the breaker that controls the hot tub. By the time I get back from my neighborhood walk, it should be to temperature, so that I can soak off the lingering soreness from my week-long flare/sickness/whatever. I woke this morning feeling like I'd been in a car accident, and have only slightly loosened up since then. Why have this glorious muscle relaxer in my back yard and not use it?








No comments:

Post a Comment