Thursday, December 24, 2020

And Know Me Better, Man

Inspirational song: When Love Is Gone (Muppet Christmas Carol)

We came racing down the straightaway, hurtling towards the finish line today. If I lean forward real sudden-like, my nose might cross the line. I cooked all day, we finished clearing the dining room table (that has truly been a shit receptacle for most of the year), and I wrapped four of my presents. Sadly, despite starting first thing this morning with blistering the peppers and making masa, I never circled back around to assembling and steaming tamales. That will have to be first thing in the morning, since they are gifts for the D&D gang.

I'm feeling better about where things are standing, even though I have a ton to wrap in the morning (biggest, heaviest is already done, whew!) With my daughter working overnight tonight, she will sleep in a bit on Christmas morning, and I will have sufficient time to finish.

I'm just so glad the dining room was usable for Christmas Eve dinner, which we ate mid-afternoon (with closed curtains on the porch door to keep the setting sun from blinding us). We took out the last leaf from the table, and that made enough space to put the high chair in the corner. This was the first time our grandbaby shared a meal with us, and while she wasn't so thrilled with the foods she got to eat, she really enjoyed carrying on a conversation with us at the table. I'm looking forward to doing this again.

After dinner, we watched our traditional Christmas Eve movie, Muppet Christmas Carol, on the bedroom TV. Maybe it would have been better to watch in the game room, but I was too tired to go downstairs. Besides, this one up here has Disney+, and I had hoped (in vain) that it would have the version of the movie that has the song between young Ebenezer and Belle intact. I know it isn't on our DVD. The baby squealed a few times at Muppets in the opening song, but after a while she mostly just crawled around on the bed with us and glanced at it occasionally. I anticipate next year her attention span will be longer, and she will know all her Muppets by name.

No comments:

Post a Comment