Friday, December 4, 2020

Exchange

Inspirational song: Your Mother Should Know (The Beatles)

For a brief, shining moment, I got to look into the big blue eyes of that baby. I had to be masked, and she tried to rip off the mask so she could see me smile at her, just like she did two weeks ago, the last time I saw her. I couldn't be close to her for too long, but it was enough to refresh my heart. I was so lonely without my girls.

I had picked up a couple toys that my daughter wanted as Christmas presents, and I dropped them off at their house, plus a serving of the stew I made in the crockpot this afternoon. I retrieved my food storage dishes from Thanksgiving while I was there. We intended to do the exchange at the door, but the kids came out to swap the toys in my trunk for their extra bouncy chair we can use when we start back up as babysitters (which ought to be next week or the one after). That way, the baby also got to wave hi to her grandpa and puppy, who were still in the car.

After all this nonsense, it may be worth my while to switch to delivery and curbside pickup for pretty much everything I need to get, so that we never have to shut down access between us and the baby again. It was okay when our daughter was able to stay home, but she starts a new job very soon, and we are the primary caregivers when both kids are working. Even if I pay delivery fees and tips, it would save me money in the long run. I've been known to slip into retail therapy to stave off depression this year, loading up shopping carts as I meander aimlessly through stores. I'm mostly sticking to cheap stuff, like soft clothes from Costco or Walmart, but even so, it's starting to add up. I'll trade acquiring a rainbow collection of cheap Henley sweaters for time with the grandbaby anyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment