Friday, December 25, 2020

Premiere

Inspirational song: Shall We Dance (The King and I)

Happy Bridgerton Day! The series I have waited to watch for a year and a half, since it was announced the books were being adapted for Netflix, premiered today! I meant to watch only one episode a day, but I slipped and watched two before bed. Oops.

What, was there something else happening today too? (I'm reasonably sure I haven't used an emoji in this blog, or not more than once if ever, but right now I'm physically restraining myself from putting in the winky face emoji.) Yes, I know it was Christmas, and what a holiday we had! This was our first as grandparents, and it was all we could have wished for. No, little lord Grumpus has not quite mastered ripping paper off of presents, but she gave it a good go. She liked having a bunch of people passing her around and encouraging her (to wear herself out) climbing stairs. We exchanged several good things between us, some costing little but holding great meaning or daily functionality, and a few big ticket items. Me, I was given the two things I requested: rainbow checkered Vans and a toaster oven that can also air fry and dehydrate. (Tomorrow will be the first attempt at apple chips. Won't be the last!) I also got plenty of things from the people who see me most, and I feel very spoiled. 

We had a long video chat with my side of the family (the Smiths didn't hold a formal Zoom this time). My stepmother wanted us to wait to open her gifts until the chat. She had given each of us girls ring and earring sets that had meaning to her, specially chosen for each of us. My set was made from large oval citrines. Naturally, I will be wearing these for future CU games, like the Alamo Bowl next week. But I wonder whether my stepmother remembers that my first engagement ring was a big marquis cut citrine that Mr Smith-Park had gotten as a loose stone way back in the day. You might say I've always had a soft spot in my heart for citrines.

It's the end of a lovely holiday, and I hope all of you found a way to connect with friends and family who love you, even if it was just a text from afar. Let's continue to believe next winter will be all about connecting in person, safely and confidently. Peace to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment