Sunday, December 13, 2020

Contemplation

Inspirational song: Jive Talkin' (Bee Gees)

Somebody on Twitter alerted me that there was a new documentary about the Bee Gees, and that it was actually very good. I caught the very end of it on HBO when I was channel surfing, and I chased it down to stream it so I could see it all. Darned if it wasn't as good as Random Person I Follow On Twitter promised it would be. I really enjoyed it, and now I'm all nostalgic for my elementary and middle school years. At least now I've learned that to get my fill for all these old songs rattling around my head, I don't have to purchase them, but pull up a few on Spotify and mark them as "liked," and they'll show up for years in my daily mixes. Is it bad that my only real disappointment with the documentary was that they never mentioned for a second the movie they made right around the time Saturday Night Fever was being made (Sgt Pepper)? 

Today is the first time I started feeling a little panic over Christmas preparations. I'm starting to think about foods, both the Christmas Eve feast and the goodies I want to give away. And now I'm working through what I want to give as gifts to the people who were easy to figure out. That accounts for perhaps half of my giving this year. The people who I haven't figured out yet are absolutely stumping me. Why does this get harder every year? Is it just because I want so few tangible items myself? For a decade or more, my favorite gifts of all have been attention and companionship (particularly in combination). 

Now that I've started streaming videos, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to stop. I've moved on from pop music megastars to dog training videos. It's making me want to try some new tricks, but it's actually pretty late at night (my regular writing time), and the silly puppy is zonked out next to me, taking up more than her share of the bed. You know, watching these bits is showing me that we are technically training even now. I'm petting her ears, face, and paws, and she is snoring through the whole thing. This is exactly how relaxed I want her to be. It's funny what counts as training.


No comments:

Post a Comment