Sunday, December 6, 2020

Conflicted

Inspirational song: Ring My Bell (Anita Ward)

The good news is now the whole family has tested negative. Quarantine is over for us all. That perfect baby will be here tomorrow. Her mommy needs to be able to do some work without a beautiful barnacle clinging to her, and grandpa and I need to make up for weeks of missed cuddling. I'm excited and hoping I can fall asleep quickly tonight, so that morning comes that much faster.

We got a startling video this afternoon. The baby, who is not yet fully seven months old, pulled herself to a standing position, holding onto a bookshelf. Holy cow, we are in trouble now! I started clearing out a few items down low over the last week, but I need to step it up now. Tomorrow is going to be an active day.

I've been trying to decide what to say about today, and I still am not settled with how I feel. A friend of mine asked me to join her in a volunteering shift. Every year Rotary (probably every Rotary club everywhere) takes turns ringing the bell for Salvation Army. I had stayed out of it thus far, mostly because of my health, but also because of mixed emotions. They do a lot of good for a lot of people, but they have a horrible track record for LGBTQ folks. As long as I was keeping my distance, I didn't have to resolve that conflict in my head. But my friend really wanted company, and Rotarians support this program with their whole hearts. As I was showering and dressing, I decided that if anyone voiced concerns along the same lines I had, I would suggest that rather than putting money in the kettle where I was standing, they should donate to the GoFundMe for the Tenacious Unicorn Ranch, the trans haven in Southern Colorado where Saoirse was born. The ranch is trying to finance an expansion, so they can take in more people who need a welcoming home in which to live their true lives in peace. No one said a negative word while I was bell-ringing. I'm still happy to put the reminder out into the universe that we have options when it comes to where our donations go. If you support the mission of the Salvation Army, there are easy ways to do it financially. If you need a different direction for your largesse, that is easy too, and I highly recommend the ranch's GoFundMe. Alternately, they sell yarn made from soft alpaca and sheep wool on their Etsy shop. Listen to your heart and give generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment