Sunday, December 27, 2020

Tasmanian Devil

Inspirational song: The Best Things Happen When You're Dancing (White Christmas)

There is a phrase commonly heard in these parts, "Who put quarters in the boy?" This odd turn of phrase is shorthand, literally suggesting someone plugged a handful of quarters into the back of one of our cats, cranked a handle, and set them running on an endless play cycle. It's usually uttered dispassionately when we are tired at the end of the day, sitting with our feet up, reading or watching TV, and Alfred or Harvey are running in circles around us, knocking over chairs, wrestling, and skidding across the uncarpeted sections of the house. Harvey is now three years old, and Alfred is over nine, yet they still tear up the place like kittens.

I had Grump Duty all by myself for most of the day. She was dropped off just after nine, and it was nearly four before anyone came to tag me out. I was already running on fumes, but that kid showed me just how tired it is possible for an adult to become. Gone are the days when she spent more time napping than awake. It was all I could do to coax her down for two 30 minute naps all day. She was ready to move! She crawled, she climbed. She stood, she tipped. She bounced. She squealed. She babbled. She grabbed at my face and hair. She played with blocks. She drank multiple bottles. She filled five diapers. That kid had no off button. Someone plugged about five dollars' worth of quarters into her and pressed play.

I am sticking with my prediction that she will be walking well before she is a whole year old, maybe before ten months at this rate. Watching her chew on toys, I've decided to place a bet that her first teeth erupt right around inauguration day. They aren't visible yet, but that would be just inside the window for when teeth are expected. She is getting good at babbling, and I try to be encouraging, paying attention so she practices her sounds with me. I played 80s music for hours today, singing and bopping along with her (I don't actually dance, but I tried to move with her regardless), hoping she would listen to the music and take to it. We tried the piano a little, but she had more fun standing on the keys and stomping while Harvey walked across the back of it, than actually playing with her hands. She hasn't singled out one activity that is her favorite yet. For now, it's all of them. All at once. Non-stop.

1 comment:

  1. I'm usually seeing these on my phone and don't know how to respond there, so I will now while on my computer. I really enjoy reading these and I especially liked your description today of "no off button." I laughed out loud. I'm your Mom's and Ted's cousin. Our grandfathers were brothers.

    ReplyDelete