Friday, December 11, 2020

Companionship

Inspirational song: Traveling Man (Ricky Nelson)

Saoirse showed great progress again today. Was it really just two months ago that she was still squirming and squealing in the car, terrified that something horrible was being thrust upon her? Puppy classes helped immensely, teaching her that car rides could equal a fun hour with other dogs and a steady stream of cookie nibbles. Trips to the magic window and aimless wanders through Lowe's built on that foundation. 

Until today, I hadn't really tested her on a long, pointless drive (pointless for her). I want her to be a companion for all travel where I am allowed to take a dog, especially once she has completed training and earned a service dog designation. So when I needed to drive up to Loveland to drop off a donation, I planned to take her along, and I invited the Mr to accompany us. (He ended up driving, since he is more skilled on snow than I.) We were in the car more than an hour, including a detour at the end to the Post for takeout food. Saoirse was perfect. She was calm, napping for part of the drive, snacking on cookies when they were offered, and only woofing a little when she heard the lady taking our lunch order through the car speakers. 

From now on, she has earned the opportunity to come with me to all dog-friendly errands, no matter the distance. Next skill to learn: staying in the car when I pump gas or run into a store she can't enter without a service dog vest. 

As lovely as the snowy drive was, I took no photos to document the trip. I did, however, ask for a couple pictures of the grandbaby, since our babysitting obligation was canceled today. I've traded showing one pretty girl for another.

No comments:

Post a Comment