Monday, December 14, 2020

Woe

Inspirational song: Classical Gas (Mason Williams)

That was sudden and decisive. As I sat over my coffee, my jaw stiffened up, and then both cheekbones followed. My head throbbed and my eyes got heavy. I would have said it was a migraine, but I also felt like a mule had kicked out both of my kidneys. The worst part was I had already skipped the bargaining and self-deception phase, and started with anti-inflammatories and tramadol before I even poured my coffee. 

By ten-thirty I admitted defeat and crawled back in bed. Well, specifically on it. I don't know why the distinction is important, but somehow it is. I put on car detailing videos on YouTube (trust me on this-- watching Detail Geek is thoroughly life-affirming), and I let myself surf between wake and sleep the rest of the day. I've had to get up and take care of mundane things throughout the day, like eating and letting the dog in and out of the house, and every time I've limped around like I'm recovering from major surgery. It's less than ideal. 

I have no idea what laid me low. I'm used to a great deal of pain and fatigue in my autoimmune life, but this seemed remarkable and unwarranted. For a hot minute this evening, my throat was slightly scratchy, and I had that common 2020 panic of "oh, no, what if it's Rona?" Then I had a bowl of ice cream, and at least that much is fine now. I assume tomorrow will be fine, like this never happened. But now the tasks I couldn't accomplish today will be due then, plus the things already on the schedule for tomorrow, and I'll feel overwhelmed and put-upon. I don't know how to spell it, but just know that tonight's post ends on a loud, whiny, self-pitying sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment