Friday, November 26, 2021

Auntie

Inspirational song: Word Crimes (Weird Al Yankovic)

For a few glorious days, the world is complete. I'm always happiest when my nuclear family is all in one city. My older daughter arrived early this afternoon, and the younger came over so we could all have lunch together. The baby showed up once she completed her nap, still wearing bed head hair. (She refused all attempts to pin it back with a barrette, so we gave up.) 

We have been able to see each other a couple of times since summer, so we settled into a calm routine a little faster than when we have too much to catch up with all at once. We have something like 10 days together, so we can take it easy. The animals are already coming to my daughter to beg for snacks or to snuggle in her lap, so she is already assimilated into the herd.

I have an old trumpet in my closet that I got from a white elephant swap one Christmas with the Smiths. Since my older daughter is the real trumpet player of the group (Mr S-P can play, and I can sort of manage a few notes), she brought it out to try to woo Valerie a little. We all think Val will be a brass player of some sort, probably tuba based on watching her at the pep rallies, so the sooner we get a mouthpiece in her hands, the earlier she can demonstrate talent or at least interest. She still wasn't fully on board yet, but there is so much time before she shows up at middle school band needing to make a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment