Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Go East, Young Girl

Inspirational song: Mockingbird (James Taylor and Carly Simon)

The miles are catching up to me. Even though it is not quite 10 pm in the time zone I just left, it's midnight where I am, and I feel every bit of it. We woke at 6, left for the airport at 7, and have been traveling almost every minute since then. We arrived at my parents' house sometime between 9:30 and 10 local. That felt like an epic journey.

That baby was a natural at plane travel. She didn't freak out on takeoffs or landings. She kind of plugged her ears when they bugged her. No crying. Not much fussing. She played with iPad and watched stuff on the seatback screen. She hopped between laps. And she really listened when we pointed out what we could see out the window. I could not possibly be more proud of her than I am.

Thank goodness we took the shuttle from the airport to The Villages. That was a painfully long drive (emphasis on painful, as the van oscillated and put strain on my joints), but it took us right to my parents' front door. If we had rented a car, we would probably still be driving in circles through swampland. I'm content to just stay very local from here on out.

We have had a little tour of the house, and visited over a late dinner. We met a charming calico cat with an epically floofy tail. And Valerie was pleased to show off to the latest set of grandparents she has discovered. So far a lovely start to the week. I have photos from the plane for tonight. Tomorrow will be reserved for my first Florida trip since... hm... possibly since high school. I bet a lot has changed since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment